Thursday 15 January 2009

Heartless the Workblog part 4

Another workblog update, the last five days have been slow going apart from a gradually building Heartless momentum that will hopefully mean something more interesting to post soon. Until something shiny appears this is a brief catch-up on some of the issues I'm having.

Problems:

Threw out the high concept until I can say something that immediately grabs you, citing influences is all well and good but if very few people have heard of them it defeats the object completely.

The dream plane name and idea is too bland, I’m thinking of renaming it the One Dream as a start. All names of characters are made up because I liked the sounds, not exactly the scientific method I know, I haven’t yet looked into what they mean and whether I’ve called a character dog poo through my lack of research. Googling as I type.

Most of all though the sword is giving me issues because I can’t fit it into what I need it to be … yet. It may take a little grease and simply ignoring a certain problem with how it works, though I’m hoping not. I’m also struggling a little with the whole heart thing, I wonder where Mari puts it while he is out hunting. They must have found some method of sustaining it during the night.

Have also discovered my fight-scene-fu is weak and am spending too long breaking them down. May avoid one in particular for now, I know how it starts and ends so I can fill in the details once the rest is locked down ... I hope.

On a separate thought trail I started a bible for Heartless today to keep track of a lot of detail, which may only be seen in passing in the actual comic but I hope will add a level of depth to the story. I'm also worryingly discarding a lot of ideas I like, they don't fit the story and I know that, having tried to force them in, but I'm hoping they'll find a home in other Tales of the Two Planes stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment