Saturday 27 December 2008

Heartless

Inspiration strikes! Went on a complete writing spree today. I wrote roughly fifteen pages of a first draft for a story idea, called Heartless, I thought I’d have trouble getting off the ground. Have to give some credit to Jimmie Robinson whose workblog at Panel and Pixel was a genuine kick in the pants. Hanging around ideas for ever and a day isn't healthy, get them down, get them out and move on to the next one. The fact that he could put a good part of the idea together so quickly smacked the hell out of a serial procrastinator like myself and, suitably admonished, I started researching the difficult idea. Unlike other misguided forays, ‘research’ this time around meant locating some valuable information, not boobies, though the science for it is still melting my brain cell – anyone know a good physics teacher?

From the success of the research and some quick structural wins, rare enough to warrant a suitable pause should celestial bodies then wish to dump on me, my fingers tapped their way happily into several fun pieces of dialogue and a finish I’m well chuffed with. Though I still find myself fighting not to use dialogue as an ‘in’ to a scene, which often leads to the inevitable act of getting carried away writing he-said-she-said, today I managed to strike a decent balance. More than that I have an estimated outline of five issues, possibly four given the one issue seems to be a little vague, the beats for each issue and almost a complete draft for #1. Plus I watched a bloody great rugby game. Today was a good day.
I’m off down the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment